Saturday, September 20, 2014

I bought the iPhone 6 Plus, and I’m already starting to regret – Slate.fr

The new smartphone from the Apple brand is simply too large to be used with one hand, and it completely changes the usage.

As I was queuing outside a shop of my operator Friday morning, ready to slam 399 dollars for Apple’s latest toy, a fear has crept into my mind: what would happen if the iPhone 6 Plus was too big for the pocket of my pants? Was I going to have to start carrying a purse?

This problem is of course not new. Half the population of smartphone buyers struggling stoically with for years: the pockets of clothes for women tend to be sensitive. Only with the growing popularity of “phablettes” as 6 Plus or Samsung Galaxy Note, however, that the dilemma “trouser pocket or handbag” began to affect men. Obviously, we panic.

In the end, however, I have not experienced any problems to slip my iPhone 6 more in the pocket of my pants Uniqlo. One of my colleagues, that her fashion tastes are more towards jeans hipsters, encountered more difficulties when he did the test with my new phone. I think he will opt for the smaller version.

And then when I started to congratulate me for not wasting my money on a phone that I could not carry, another problem is appeared. it is not easy to use with one hand

Over the years, I was accustomed to the idea that using a smartphone was a task that did not require a hand. Not only could I keep my iPhone 5 comfortably in the palm, but the ends of my fingers reached the corners of the screen without difficulty. I even succeeded homeruns with one hand on my favorite game of baseball.



Time doubled

This is no longer the case. Merely type the password to unlock the iPhone 6 or more requires a second hand either manual acrobatic talents. Reach the buttons placed at the top of the screen -you know those basic things such as “Messages”, “Photos”, “Camera” – is impossible, unless one has a giant hand

When Apple. announced the release of 6 Plus, I noted that he had planned a feature to bring down buttons to half the screen by pressing twice on the “Home” button. I did not anticipate that I would quickly lean on this feature for almost anything I need to do with my phone.

Before to open the Gmail application and write a message, I needed to do these three things. 1 Press the button to open the application 2 Press the button “Send a message” 3 Start writing

Now he I need: 1 Double-press the “Home” button to move the Gmail button at your fingertips 2 Press the button to open the application 3 Press twice the “Home” button to move the button ” Write a message “at your fingertips 4 Press the” Write a message “5 Start writing button.

The difference may seem slight, but it is not if you spend your phone: it almost doubles the time it takes to perform certain tasks. And if the double press of the “Home” button makes it easier to reach the top of the screen, it remains difficult to achieve sides without dropping the phone. Two of the people I have lent him a short time managed to make it fall in the first 30 seconds.



Full concentration

obvious solution, I understand it, is simply to use the phone with both hands. The iPhone 6 Plus works beautifully in “landscape” mode and takes full advantage of its big screen when it comes to reading articles, watching videos or playing games. Autonomy, advertised as being significantly higher than that of the iPhone 6, was a major selling point for me.


 
 

As the Galaxy Note is a phone that will be much loved by some that mocked or rejected by others. Unlike the Galaxy Note, however, the 6 Plus is not sold with a stylus or explicitly marketé as a compromise between a phone and a tablet. While no user of Samsung will be surprised to have to use his phone so inelegant, the Applemaniaques, conversely, may have been brainwashed by the mark to believe that she would never sell them a phone that does seem not perfectly adapted to their hand.

 

A phone you need to use both hands is a phone that requires your full concentration. This is not a phone that you can out of your pocket and look mechanically between two other tasks. This is not a phone that you can quickly browse through your messages while carrying a bag of groceries or grabbing you at the helm of the metro. And maybe it was Apple’s goal from the beginning: have a huge phone may be the incentive needed to buy a smart watch to $ 350

.
 

I do not discount the possibility that I may become sufficiently skillful in handling the day 6 more for its qualities begin to hide its limitations. But for now, I do not rule it to be back to the store within two weeks to exchange it against something more practical.


 
LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment