Elizabeth Blackburn in December 2009 in Stockholm. – JANERIK HENRIKSSON / SCA / AP / SIPA

Interview by Nicolas BEGASSE

In fact, as in attitudes, women are struggling to find their place in the world of science. Exclusive survey to support the Foundation L’Oreal came the recall on Wednesday, with the reinforcement #changethenumbers site and the testimony of the American Elizabeth Blackburn, Nobel Prize in Medicine 2009, present in Paris for the occasion . 20 Minutes took the opportunity to ask him some questions.

If you engage in this fight, it is because you have suffered from stereotypes, or even suffer?

I could suffer from time to time, but much less than other women. In fact, I see many young women around me which themselves suffer, and I really do not like that. It bothers my sense of justice. So I try to use the influence I can have as a Nobel Prize to improve the situation.



Are you talking about this problem with young women scientists you meet?

When I speak to students, I sometimes take a moment to speak as young women and they suddenly look more comfortable. I think it’s because when they are among their male peers, they do not want them to perceive any weakness at home. They want to keep up appearances. As for my male colleagues, they wonder how they can ensure that their female students feel better. They say: “how not, myself, fall into the trap of stereotypes? “Attitudes are changing over time, although there is still some way to go to not throw the female talent in the trash. It’s a real waste.



How much?

In the most complex disciplines, and science is a good example, a homogeneous group of people will not a rich reflection that would have a more diverse group. Multiply the points of view and ways of thinking. Women may have different ideas, special creativity. That’s why I love this slogan of the L’Oréal Foundation, “science needs women”. And it’s the same for minorities: in the US there is a lack of black researchers, and it is so much talent that we lose

The scientific community, populated by bright people. should it not be free from inequality and stereotypes?

On the one hand, yes, there is in science a sense of refreshing equality. But on the other, it is fascinating that scientists do not live outside society, can not escape its through – studies and surveys have shown. Scientists are products of their environment, and are just as prone to stereotyping than others. It is even shocking for them to be aware of this uncomfortable truth.



You have a husband and a son. What do you say to those who think that a woman necessarily prefers his work to the detriment of his family

This is false: it is simply good use of his time. At one point, I asked myself: what matters most to me? It is the family and work. So I got rid of everything else, the superfluous, wasted time. I have not felt like a sacrifice.