Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Chemistry Nobel: “I first thought it was a hoax” – The Point

<- Col article ->

One of the three winners of the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 2014, Germany’s Stefan Hell has told Wednesday it believed a hoax when he was interrupted in his reading of a scientific article. “It was a total surprise, I could not believe it. At first I thought it might be a hoax,” said he told the Nobel Foundation. “But I was reminded of the teacher’s voice [Staffan] Normark [the Nobel Committee] and that’s when I realized there were other people around (…) and therefore c ‘was the seriously, “he said. Rather than jumping for joy, the researcher nanoscopy has not distracted. “I read the paragraph that I wanted to read to the end, and then I called my wife and tried to call some of my loved ones,” he reported.

Derived from the German-speaking minority in Romania, Stefan Hell, 51, is the director of the Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry in Göttingen (southwest Germany). He won the Nobel with two Americans, Eric Betzig and William Moerner, for having brought the microscope in a new era. He said he met with some skepticism. “People believed that this barrier was there since 1873 and the resolution of [a microscope] was what it was, and wanting to change something was (…) a little crazy, not very realistic.” “But I think it was that physics had seen so many changes in the twentieth century,” he said. “I always liked to question things and established opinions.”

<- end tag inRead ->

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment